This powerful piece from Democracy Now! on October 24, 2014 includes Amy Goodman asking her Austrian guest about actions like the Transform Now Plowshares action and included a clip of PLC member Sr. Megan Rice talking about her motivation for participating in that dramatic action for which she is serving a 35 month prison sentence. It also references the powerfully saddening and scary New York Times article that lays out many of the ways the Obama administration is enlarging, not eliminating the nuclear weapons complex in the United States, upgrading, not phasing out old weapons systems.
This recent article in the New York Times (September 2, 2014) shows why nuclear abolitionists like the Pacific Life Community continue to agitate and educate about the reality that the United States is drawing the world into a renewed nuclear arms race. President Obama, in his carefully worded speech in Prague in April 2009, effectively made people think he was working to rid the world of nuclear weapons, but throughout his presidency, the push has been to increase the size of the nuclear weapons complex, enhance the capabilities of existing nuclear weapons and delivery systems, and shift military assets in ways that increase other countries’ vulnerability to US first strikes.
PLC 2017 – March 5-7The 2017 Pacific Life Community gathering is coming up very soon. Please scroll down this page to see the full schedule.
Find What, Where
- Recent Posts
- News of the World
- News of the Network
- Past National Gatherings
- 2014: Creech AFB, Nellis AFB, Nevada National Security Site (Las Vegas, Nevada)
- 2013: Bangor-Kitsap Naval Station (Bangor, Washington)
- 2012: Vandenberg AFB (Santa Barbara, California)
- 2011: Lockheed Martin Space & Missile Systems (Sunnyvale, California)
- 2010: Los Alamos National Laboratory (Santa Fe, New Mexico)
- 2009: Bangor-Kitsap Naval Station (Bangor, Washington)
- 2008: Vandenberg AFB (Santa Barbara, California)
- 2007, Premier PLC Gathering, Nevada Test Site (Indian Springs, Nevada)
We Are NonviolentWhat we mean by nonviolent direct action